Prison Officer - Melbourne Assessment Prison and Courts
- Location: Melbourne - Western Metro
- Job Function: Prison and Corrective Services
- Work Type: Ongoing - full time
About this role
Are you ready to start a career with long-term job security?
- Multiple full-time positions available
- Bring your life experience and get paid to train on the job
- Help make the community a safer place for everyone
Prison officers equip prisoners with the skills they need to build a better future. If you're a great communicator and enjoy the challenge of achieving positive outcomes in challenging situations, then you have the qualities needed to make a great prison officer.
Whatever work background you're from – retail, hospitality, administration, construction, education, healthcare, manufacturing or community services (to name a few) - your experience has already set you up to succeed in this role.
What's in it for you
- Earn $57,638 - $74,016 + super as a full-time prison officer working on a rotating roster
- Enjoy job security and the satisfaction of making a real difference
- Complete eight weeks of paid full-time training (paid at $55,836 per annum pro rata). By the end, you will feel confident and well equipped to begin your new job and continue working towards Certificate III accreditation in Custodial Services Practice
- Generous penalty rates on night shifts, weekends and public holidays paid in addition to salary. These benefits can significantly increase your take home pay
- Located between Southern Cross and Flagstaff train stations, providing easy access by public transport
- Work with a highly supportive team while helping to make the community safer
- Be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or hold Australian permanent residency.
- Hold a current Victorian driver's license (minimum P2 category) and be willing to obtain a first aid certificate.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment checks that may include national police checks, misconduct screening and traffic offences.
- To become a prison officer, you will also need to pass a health and fitness assessment - learn more
We are committed to building a workforce that promotes diversity and inclusion, in recognition of the value a diverse workforce has on building and maintaining a safe and secure work environment for all. We strongly encourage expressions of interest across all cultural backgrounds, genders and abilities.
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply
The Department of Justice and Community Safety is continually working towards increasing our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (Aboriginal) workforce. The Aboriginal Employment Team aims to attract, recruit and retain Aboriginal staff in a number of roles, including prison officers. This support includes a culturally appropriate attraction and recruitment process. To learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org
The department is committed to providing and maintaining a working environment which is safe and without risk to the health of its employees consistent with the department's obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic).
Therefore, there is a requirement that all DJCS employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to undertake duties outside of their homes. Prior to commencement of employment with the department you will need to provide evidence that you are vaccinated against COVID-19. Acceptable evidence includes:
1. COVID-19 digital certificate (available via your myGov account)
2. Your immunisation history statement (available via your myGov account) or
3. A letter from the GP who vaccinated you. To learn more about what you'll do on the job, as well as the physical requirements, go to www.correctionsjobs.vic.gov.au/prison-officers
Applications close at midnight, on Thursday 21 October 2021
|Location:||Melbourne - Western Metro|
|Work Type:||Ongoing - full time|
|Job Function:||Prison and Corrective Services|
|Salary Range:||$57,638 - $74,016|
|Application Close Date:||21-Oct-2021|
|Attachments:|| Prison Officer and Youth Justice Health Assessment Fact Sheet - Aug 2021 (1).pdf (PDF, 145KB)
Prison Officer Recruitment Process 2021.pdf (PDF, 297KB)
Position Description Prison Officer COG2a Oct21.pdf (PDF, 238KB)