- Location: VIC - Multiple Locations
- Job Function: Prison and Corrective Services
- Work Type: Fixed term - full time
About this role
If you're a good communicator and enjoy achieving positive outcomes, then you have the qualities needed to make a great prison officer. We're forming new squads of prison officers at all faciltiies across Victoria as the need arises, so apply as soon as possible!
Whatever work background you're from – retail, hospitality, construction, healthcare or manufacturing (to name a few) - your experience has already set you up to succeed in this role.
Learn about daily work activities and how penalty rates and overtime can significantly increase your take-home pay.
Online information sessions are also a great chance to ask your questions about applying and how the recruitment process works.
What's in it for you
- Earn up to $85,116 with base salary $59,233 + penalty rates & overtime
- 41 days paid full-time training and 5 weeks annual leave
- Support to complete a Certificate III in Correctional Practice (Adult Custodial)
If you're offered an ongoing prison officer role, are new to the public service and live more than two hours away from your new work location, you may be eligible for reimbursement of up to $10,000 to help with costs like travel, freight, temporary housing and storage. Talk to our recruitment team about how this support may apply to you.
New $5,000 sign-on bonus!
New prison officers are now eligible for a bonus of up to $5,000. Six months after commencing, you will receive a payment of $2,500. Then, after one year's full-time employment, you will receive an additional payment of $2,500. This incentive is designed to attract the best new prison officers and encourage you to explore all aspects of the role.
- Be a positive influence on prisoners
- Protect the safety and security of staff and prisoners
- Be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or hold Australian permanent residency.
- Hold a current Victorian driver's license (minimum P2 category) and be willing to obtain a first-aid certificate.
- A level of health and fitness is needed, learn more here.
Please note that the below prisons are currently at capacity. If you wish to apply for these facilities, we will place you in our candidate pool ready for placement once positions become available. We can also suggest another location that is appropriate to you.
- Beechworth Correctional Centre
- Dame Phyllis Frost Centre (Women only)
The department is no longer required to review or collect candidates COVID-19 vaccination information as part of the recruitment process. The department is continuously committed to providing and maintaining a working environment which is safe and without risk to the health of its employees consistent with the department's obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic).
|Location:||VIC - Multiple Locations|
|Work Type:||Fixed term - full time|
|Job Function:||Prison and Corrective Services|
|Salary Range:||$59,825 - $76,826|
|Application Close Date:||13-Apr-2024|
|Attachments:|| Position Description Prison Officer COG2a External June 23.docx (Word, 553KB)
Health Assessment_Prison Officer_Information_Aug 23.pdf (PDF, 140KB)
Position Description - External ~ (Trainee) Prison Officer COG1 2a June 2023.docx (Word, 553KB)
Prison Officer Recruitment Fact Sheet_Aug 23.pdf (PDF, 156KB)