Industry Officer - Timber
- Location: North East - Indigo
- Job Function: Prison and Corrective Services
- Work Type: Ongoing - full time
About this role
- An exciting opportunity within the Corrections and Justice Services group of Department of Justice and Community Safety
- COG 2B (Salary Range $76,581 - $88,065)
- One (1) ongoing, full-time opportunity available
As a service within the Department of Justice and Regulation, Corrections Victoria develops and implements policies, programs, and services to ensure that safe and secure containment of prisoners, and that seek to rehabilitate offenders by addressing the underlying causes of offending behaviour.
Corrections Victoria manages some 50 Community Correctional Services locations across the state and is responsible for managing Victoria's 11 public prisons and overseeing the contracts relating to the management of two privately operated prisons. In doing so, Corrections Victoria delivers a safe and secure corrections system that actively engages offenders and the community to promote positive behaviour change.
Beechworth Correctional Centre is a minimum-security prison for men, with a focus on preparing offenders for their release back into the community.
About the Role
Industry Officers are responsible for the management and delivery of specific functions within prison industries. This includes assisting with the management of prisoner employment, safe operating procedures and other Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) requirements, and compliance with prison industry procedures.
Industry staff may be required to work in various areas according to operational requirements.
Facial Hair Policy: All prison officers will be required (subject to a small number of exemptions) to be clean shaven for the purposes of wearing, if required in an emergency, the donning of a breathing apparatus.
The role requires leadership, maturity, sound judgement, confidence in decision making, developed capabilities to coach, mentor and motivate prisoners.
As our ideal candidate, you will possess:
- Relevant experience in Timber Joinery / Building Industry would be an advantage
- Sound background using modern equipment
- Sound computer skills would be of an advantage
- An ability to communicate role expectations and purpose, as well as recognise deviation from values, performance standards and provides timely and constructive feedback to others. Also an ability to understand individual needs to optimise employee engagement
- An ability to build a supportive and cooperative team environment, and engage other teams to share information in order to understand or respond to issues. Also able to support others in challenging situations
- An ability to see things from another's point of view and confirm understanding. Also able to understand the motivations, needs and wants of stakeholders and their impact on service delivery, and tailor communications according to audience and/or audience preference
- Relevant trade qualifications or experience in Cabinet Making / Carpentry / Timber Joinery / or Building Industry
- Successful completion of the internal 8-week Corrections Officer Program within 6 months of commencement (mandatory).
How to Apply
Please click the Apply button on this advertisement. Applications should include a resume and covering letter. Attachments can be uploaded in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt or .rtf formats.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo pre-employment checks which may include national police checks and misconduct screening.
If you require adjustments to the recruitment and selection process, or require an alternative format to any of the application material, please don't hesitate to get in touch with the contact person listed on this ad.
The department is committed to providing and maintaining a working environment which is safe and without risk to the health of its employees consistent with the department's obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic).
Therefore, there is a requirement that all DJCS employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to undertake duties outside of their homes.
Prior to commencement of employment with the department you will need to provide evidence that you are vaccinated against COVID-19. Acceptable evidence includes:
COVID-19 digital certificate (available via your myGov account)
Your immunisation history statement (available via your myGov account) or
A letter from the GP who vaccinated you.
|Location:||North East - Indigo|
|Work Type:||Ongoing - full time|
|Job Function:||Prison and Corrective Services|
|Salary Range:||$76,581 - $88,065|
|Application Close Date:||21-Aug-2022|
|Attachments:|| 5188 - Position Description - Industry Officer Timber Products - COG2B.pdf (PDF, 225KB)
Michael Hennessy on 0448 920 690